Tuesday, January 14, 2014

grateful

sometimes it takes a patient with MS who is completely immobile and dependent to remind you how amazingly privileged you are...

somehow we ended up talking about cuba. and i was able to say, "i've been there. i circumnavigated the globe while in college and i wound up on a university campus with 600 other college students listening to fidel castro speak to us for FIVE hours."

then, at some other point in our day, we talked about india. and i chimed in, "oh, i've been there." at that, my patient said, "i am fascinated by you. what were you doing there?" to which i replied, "oh, i worked at mother teresa's home for the destitute and dying for four months." my patient was astounded.

i guess my "history" is kind of interesting. i've had some amazing experiences and completed some pretty monumental tasks.

but what really makes me realize how lucky i am (in addition to having had the opportunity to travel the world) is when i help my patient turn his body in bed and he moans and groans. or when he has to ask me to bend his knees for him so that he can stretch his hamstrings. or when i clean his totally sore scrotum and he thanks me profusely. or when i use a ceiling lift to transfer him like cattle from bed to a chair. or when i comfort a groan man as he cries, "i can't lose my ability to walk."

i am an independent, healthy, strong woman. and THAT is something i won't take for granted - thanks to K in room 8260 for making me aware and reminding me to be grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment