Saturday, July 6, 2013

one crane

this week i cared for a woman more than 100 days post her transplant.  she should have been on her way home, with her baby-but-new immune system.  but instead, she was flying home with her cancer in relapse, to die amidst palm trees and sunshine instead of in a strange city where it rains, even in summer.  my patient's niece was keeping my patient company when i walked into her room in the afternoon; she was meticulously folding paper cranes.  it's been a few years since i worked on my 1000 for our unit.  but as soon as i saw the tiny square paper, i HAD to fold one.  so i sat down with my new lady "friends" and folded a paper crane.  just 1 out of 1000.  i know it won't bring the luck my patient needs.  but i do hope it helps to bring some peace and a good death.

No comments:

Post a Comment