Tuesday, July 16, 2013

do people die?

my 27 year old patient - the one who is afraid of saline and who i have grown much to attached to - asked me point blank this morning, "do people die here?"

considering we have the most deaths in the entire hospital and considering i frequently (well, certainly more than most people i know) wrap up bodies in plastic body bags, i didn't quite know how to respond.  sometimes i speak before i think...

this time i said, "well, this is a hospital.  of course people die here."  and then i quickly followed it up with, "but people i like don't get to think about dying.  they have to stay positive and do well."

suddenly, i felt unsupportive.  like maybe i had shut up my patient, just when she needed me the most.  so i sat down and asked, "why are you asking me?"

what proceeded was a very candid conversation followed by some tears.

and now, i only like her more.

No comments:

Post a Comment