Thursday, May 8, 2014

hospital birthdays

my patient celebrated her second birthday at UWMC. to be born there is okay. lots of people celebrate their first birthday in a hospital. but a second, well... that's just a bummer. and when i say a second birthday, i don't mean a regular birthday. i mean a second "birth" day. like a re-birth. a second chance at life with a hematopoeitic stem cell transplant because otherwise you will surely die of cancer.

i gave a 30 year old two tiny bags of umbilical cord stem cells yesterday. and when my colleagues and i sang happy birthday to her, she and her mom cried. a few minutes later, my patient's mother said to me, "you know, she is my miracle, million dollar baby. she was not only born here. she was saved here. she was born at 25 weeks and spent her first days, weeks, months in the NICU. now, we are hoping you will save her here again."

No comments:

Post a Comment