Thursday, April 28, 2011

the allure of overtime

i think i might be in a work slump. sometimes when i am in a life slump, i take the majority of it out on my job. my attitude gets lousy (maybe lousier). my colleagues bring me tootsie rolls in the afternoon to make the time pass more quickly. i escape the unit with nurse friends to take a walk in the fresh air during shifts. and i dread going in, especially for stretches of three days in a row.

but, there is something about overtime that i just cannot pass up. no matter how sick i am of nursing and cancer and vomit. i've become a greedy little gal. and i almost always say yes to the overtime call. work doesn't feel so bad when i am making one and a half times my normal hourly pay (double time if it's on a weekend). in fact, work feels great when i'm getting paid what i think i deserve! and it's always a good excuse to treat myself to something special. one overtime shift equals new socks (which i love more than fresh flowers) or a fancy dinner out with friends (dinner anyone?).

so, i guess i get to buy some new socks soon. cuz i'm going in for 8 hours of overtime tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment