Saturday, December 25, 2010

scrooge vs. elf

the christmas scrooge in me woke up this morning and said,
"bah humbug..."

it's currently 5:38 PM on christmas day. i've been awake for 12 hours, almost 11 hours of which have been spent at work. sometimes being a nurse is not so fun. it means holidays spent in the hospital taking care of sick patients. it also means missing out on family traditions, the exchange of gifts, and the afternoon lull/nap once the festivities are over.

the little santa elf in me is singing a little jig of
"ho, ho, ho and a merry, merry, merry christmas..."

working on christmas can also be fun - depends on your attitude. it can mean spending time with friends/colleagues, potlucks, and christmas cookies galore. it means brightening sick people's holiday with loving care and christmas cheer. the time and half is a nice addition to my paycheck (i must admit). oh, and having my mom and auntie joanie deliver personalized starbucks drinks to the entire unit this afternoon is an extra special perk of working on the holiday - caffeine makes everything better! my patients and their families show extra appreciation too; i even got a treat of almond roca from one patient spouse to thank me for my presence.

i just feel merry because i am healthy and happy, my family is home, ready and waiting to greet me. it's the people that make christmas special - whether i am at home or at work. merry christmas to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment