Friday, November 1, 2013

bereavement vacation

i wanted to post an update. about my patient. the one i wrote about last. the patient i made "extra" comfortable with morphine (i'd like to see it as that, instead of as me making the biggest error of my nursing career). i worked with him last on sunday. and i learned that my patient passed away peacefully on tuesday surrounded by family, friends, and members of his church.

i'm still on bereavement leave. my schedule is such that taking off these three shifts for bereavement means i don't work until tuesday. and although EIGHT entire days off is a nice mini-vacation, it's still not enough to heal one's heart from the loss of a grandmother, the loss of a patient, and all of the past and future losses in my career as a nurse on my unit.

i NEVER want to take bereavement again; i do not want to suffer any more losses. but i will say, this bereavement vacation is doing me well.

No comments:

Post a Comment