Friday, January 11, 2013

liver transplant

one day this week, i was walking in to work.  i was probably rushing, running a few minutes late.  UW has one of the longest hallways in the nation.  and by the end of it, i'm usually sweating and grumpy, not wanting to be at work at 6:54 AM.  but i couldn't help but smile and feel privileged to work in medicine when i heard a man checking in at the information desk.  he was speaking with the volunteer front desk staff (who i know is a heart transplant survivor; he wears a mask and when i was doing my clinicals at UW while in nursing school, i spoke with him).  the patient said, "i'm checking in for my liver transplant.  the man on the phone this morning told me you'd be able to direct me."  it was serendipitous that i heard this interaction.  i could have been 10 minutes earlier or 5 seconds later.  but witnessing miracles in my place of work made me feel excited to be a nurse.  excited to provide care to sick people.  excited to participate in miracles.

1 comment:

  1. what a joy to know that nursing still excites you... i'll bet every patient you treated that day felt your joy!!!!

    ReplyDelete