Tuesday, September 27, 2011

work to live

do you work to live or live to work?

this week, the answer is simple. i am working to live. in fact, i am working A LOT so that i can live HARD! i'm working too many days and hours of overtime so that i can take off two weeks from work and see the world.

when people ask me if i like my job, i often have mixed emotions. my gut instinct is always to say, "i love nursing." i do. i love caring for people during their most vulnerable times. and i feel honored to be with people during cancer. but other times, i feel disenchanted with my job. we're often understaffed. sometimes i don't have the time to spend quality time with my patients. and sometimes i just get sick of caring for needy people.

but, one thing i ALWAYS love about my job is the schedule and the flexibility it allows in my life. i am blessed with opportunities to take weeks and months off of work to galavant the globe. last year it was iceland and nepal. the year before that, mozambique, south africa, and turkey. next week, i am off to paris, amsterdam, and prague. what a treat! what a rejuvenating adventure. i cannot wait to eat croissants in paris, to see anne frank's house in amsterdam, and to walk the charles bridge in prague (i will imagine my grandparents standing there decades before for their wedding photos).


No comments:

Post a Comment