Wednesday, January 12, 2011

ablation

the family waiting room in the cath lab sucks!

i'm a family member today, not a nurse. and i'm waiting on pins and needles.

my dad is getting an ablation to correct his irregular heart rhythms. we (my dad, mom, sister, and i) have been at the hospital since 6:30 this morning (that was 6 hours ago). and my dad is still in the cath lab getting a tune-up. my boyfriend describes the procedure like this - "they're burning and electrocuting your dad." all they're forgetting in the barbaric procedure are the leeches!

we've had one update from a nurse who was poorly informed about my dad's case (not reassuring), but apparently, my dad is talking to the nurse about switzerland as they map out the naughty electrical currents on his heart muscle. how strange, huh? my dad is awake while they have cameras and tools up a vein in his groin.

anyway, there are three children in the waiting room - 2 six year olds and 1 eight year old. their mom is having the same procedure as my dad - only she's probably in her thirties. it's strange what people have to endure. while sitting here with this family, we've learned that the two six year olds are actually triplets. they were born at 27 weeks and the oldest of the three passed away. the eight year old told his dad not to talk about his mom's health; it scares him. and now they're mom's sick! hasn't this family been through enough?!?

i'm not sure what i am rambling about. all i know is, hospitals are full of sad stories. everyones lives are full of struggles. and hopefully everyones lives are sprinkled with triumphs. i sure hope this waiting room is full of triumphant stories. the three little kiddos and their dad deserve a success story - they deserve a healthy mommy. and of course, we're rooting for my dad! my mom deserves a new and improved husband (with an obedient heart) and my sister and i deserve our ornery dad back...

No comments:

Post a Comment