Tuesday, August 7, 2012

divorced

mount rainier and i have a love/hate relationship.  i've decided, we're getting divorced!

as stated in my last post, i climbed mount rainier last week - for a second time.  and for the second time, i wound up in the ER.

reminder:  almost two summers ago, i had signed up to climb mount rainier with a guide company.  in preparation, i joined crossfit and got into crazy shape!  however, 100 push-ups, 100 pull-ups, and 100 squats sent me to the ER with severe muscle breakdown in my arms leading to rhabdomyelisis.  i could have permanently damaged my kidneys.  but thankfully, after 5 days in the hospital, and a month or so of recovery, i was fine.  i am fine.  but i did not get to climb rainier.

last summer, the mountain and i got along, fairly well.  it must have been the therapy i attended between summers to mend our broken relationship!  i summited mount rainier last summer.  we seemed to respect one another on my climb.  and although i felt extremely proud of my accomplishment,  i vowed to only visit the mountain's lower-lands in the future.

rewind to last week.  as previously mentioned, for some crazy reason, i decided to test our tumultuous relationship.  i went on a 3 day date with rainier.  and have since decided, we're broken up.  forever.  i descended the mountain on friday morning.  it was fast, sliding thousands of feet on my poor little behind.  i hate glissading.  but i made it safely, in one piece, to the parking lot.  with only a few itchy bug bites and incredibly sore quadricep muscles.

fast forward.  to friday night.  a bug bite on my hand began to swell.  it was itchy.  most bug bites are, right?  but by night time, i started to worry.  i was losing definition of my hand.  my skin grew taut and uncomfortable.  my handsome boyfriend, a PA student, decided i should probably go to the ER.  not wanting to make a big deal of nothing, i decided to sleep on it.  if it was worse in the AM, sure, i would go!  4:30 in the morning came quickly.  and with that, came the realization that something was seriously wrong.  my hand had doubled in size.  i had an infection of some sort.  and since i've seen too many cases of flesh eating bacteria (necrotizing fasciatis) leading to amputations, i decided not to mess around.  my eager to learn boyfriend and i went to the ER at my place of employment.  i was treated quickly and efficiently (maybe because it was serious, maybe because i'm an employee).  i got an IV dose of serious antibiotics and was started on four times daily oral antibiotics.

cellulitis.  of course, i got cellulitis on my hand from a bug bite on mount rainier!  cellulitis is a skin infection.  but i felt like it's an STD from my sketchy date with mount rainier!  we're over.  i'm getting a restraining order.
Add caption
(this picture doesn't quite do the swelling justice.  not to mention, it got bigger throughout the day on saturday.  currently, i think i am cured.)

No comments:

Post a Comment