Wednesday, January 11, 2012

caffeine on christmas

i had every good intention of writing a new year's post, full of optimism and hope for a fantastic 2012. and somehow, i've let the beginning of the month get away from me. instead of acknowledging that it's almost mid-january, i'm going to take a little look back and share part of my family's holiday tradition.

as a nurse, i work every other christmas. it can be a bit of a drag. i remember my first year as a nurse, i was SO bummed. i cried when i told my mom that i would be missing the family christmas celebration (she cried too). and every other year since, i have put on my scrubs at 6 AM and my mom and aunt joanie drive me to work, not before finding the only starbucks open before 7AM to get myself the much needed caffeine boost to start my day.

on years that i do not work, i celebrate with my family... and because i know it's hard to work on christmas, i ALSO choose to celebrate with my colleagues. between 3PM and 5PM, work is always the hardest. typically, the busiest part of our day is over and we're watching the clock, waiting for 7:30PM to come - and it never comes soon enough. so, my mom's, joanie's, and my new christmas tradition involves a caffeine delivery (around 3PM) to the hospital with personalized orders and festive starbucks cups! joanie loves to tell my work friends about santa's generosity and her upcoming plans (this year it's a trip to vegas baby!). my mom and i enjoy a christmas cookie or two from the potluck leftovers and chat with nurses. and at the end of the day, everyone is happier thanks to caffeine on christmas!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment